Saturday, March 26, 2011

One Thousand Gifts...



I am naming my gifts - naming offers the gift of recognition. Now in the bible a name reveals the very essence of a thing or rather it's essence as God's gift. To name a thing is to manifest the meaning and value God gave it, to know it as coming from God and to know it's place and function within the cosmos created by God. To name a thing, in other words, is to bless God for it and in it. Excerpt from 'One Thousand Gifts' by Ann Voskamp.

I am counting.

11. Sounds of early morning.
12. Mind filled to brim with ideas for my book.
13. The thought of a family filled weekend.
14. Crisper autumn mornings and more to come.
15. First cup of tea for the day.

I smile, I can't believe how much I smile.
Record the moment. Numbered. See the one at the centre of it all. Record the blessings. Enumerate the gifts, Ann reminds us.

Psalm 90:12 Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

The way to learn to number our days is to count the moments of his grace...

16. Lemon water soothing throat.
17. Watching my baby run around, giggling, glowing with friend before school bell.
18. Sitting in the silence with my firstborn, no words necessary.
19. Whites glowing in the sun.
20. Hard working husband home while still light.

Psalm 84:5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hears on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs - they go from strength to strength till each appears before God in Zion.


Keep counting these moments of grace. Even in the midst of a deep shadow filled valley. I love that it slows me down, I recognise what is right before me and I am learning to have a heart full of gratitude no matter the circumstances...I am a slow learner but he is leading and we will count together.

1 comment:

milkandhoney said...

Enjoying your blog Kez. Great post. I've been keeping a gratitude journal too. We have so much to be thankful for. xx